What is SOLAR FLUX?
SOLAR FLUX is a complex chemical compound in the form of a very fine powder—finer even than a lady’s face powder. SOLAR FLUX is mixed with alcohol (methanol/methyl alcohol preferred) and brushed on the back of the weld joint. It is formulated to shield the BACK of the weld joint from oxygen, dissipate heat and unwanted oxides, and to clean the surface of the metal. It will aid in the flow of filler metal over base metal and form a protective barrier to prevent re-oxidation and heat scale.
Types of SOLAR FLUX:
- Type B for welding Stainless Steel and Alloy Steels
- Type I for welding High Nickel Super Alloys
Certificate of Conformance for SOLAR FLUX
- SOLAR FLUX type B conforms to the requirements of United States Military Specification MIL-F-7516B, classes 2 and 4.
- SOLAR FLUX type I conforms to the requirements of United States Military Specification MIL-F-7516B, classes 1, 2, 3 and 4.
- The shelf life of SOLAR FLUX that has never been mixed with a mixing fluid and remains in the closed can, is infinite.
- All batches of SOLAR FLUX are compounded, manufactured, inspected, tested and packaged in accordance with our original formulas and patents, in conformance with accepted procedures and quality control requirements.
- SOLAR FLUX is inert, non-flammable, and non-explosive. It can be shipped safely in any quantity by any means of transportation.
- Certificates of conformance are available upon request on your purchase order.
Some of the Common Applications for SOLAR FLUX:
- Pipe and tube welding (except in those few cases where removal of the thin, glass-like residue is required)
- Maintenance welding
- In-field welding
- One-of-a-kind welds
- Unusual shapes and configurations
- Large diameter pipes and ducts
- Certain specified aircraft airframe and jet engine repairs
- ……. and many, many more!
SOLAR FLUX Application Chart
(for welding by any method)
|18 – 8 stainless steels||type B|
|Other stainless steels||type B|
|(except AISI 309, 309S, 310, 310S, 314)||type B or I|
|Precipitation hardening stainless steels||type B|
|Chrome-moly steels||type B|
|All other alloy steels not mentioned above which contain less than 25% nickel||type B|
|High nickel super alloys containing over 25% nickel, e.g. Monel, Inconel, and similar grades||type I|
SOLAR FLUX can be purchased from better welding supply distributors throughout the United States and Canada, and in many other countries around the world. SOLAR FLUX is also available directly from the factory, no minimum order, available immediately from stock by VISA or MASTERCARD. Phone, fax, or e-mail for price and delivery. New distributor inquiries are always invited.